MY PREEMIE TWINS GIANNI & NICCO (born at 28 weeks)

I decided to speak publicly about my pregnancy.. I always keep my personal life private from my social networks but I believe I can help other moms that are going through the same and it will also help me if I speak about it…

From the moment I found out I was having twins , the term “preterm labor” started buzzing in my ear. I was so small when I got pregnant, I actually competed at my last fitness competition the NPC Titans back in October when I was 2 months pregnant already! I had no idea I was pregnant while on stage. I found out weeks after the show. I was so fit and my abdominal wall was so tight that I didn’t show until I was 4 months and from then every day my belly grew bigger and bigger! I had the pointiest tummy ever!

You must be wondering how it’s possible that I still appear in magazine covers and articles…well as soon as I find out I was pregnant I schedule many photo shoots as I knew it will be a while until I will be able to shoot and work again…thats why I still have publications coming out every month even now while I’m at the hospital…

All my latest pictures posted in Facebook are pretty much recent and I am pregnant in all of them… anyways as soon as I started getting bigger I started to worry as it felt that my body couldn’t carry 2 babies…

I started having symptoms of  labor at 26 weeks I was having more contractions than a woman that is about to give birth!!! I was having contractions every 3 minutes… I kept going to the Doctor and he kept telling me it was normal for twins… deep inside me I knew it wasn’t right… it wasn’t normal …but I listened to the Doctor and went home on bed rest… I research and found out that seventy percent of multiples are born before their due date and I started to freak out…

I maintained a healthy pregnancy the entire time and  tried to be positive but it got harder and harder to the point that I couldn’t walk to the bathroom.. my legs will shake and my lower back was in so much pain from the extra weight…

I had all these symptoms, still my Doctor sent me home… these were all my symptoms:

• More than four or five contractions per hour
  • Regular contractions that increase in frequency
  • Rhythmic or persistent pelvic pressure
  • Cramps, similar to menstrual cramping
  • Backache
  • Diarrhea and upset stomach
  • A change in vaginal discharge
  • Uneasy or urgent sense that something is wrong

I decided to come back to the hospital and this time another Doctor examined me… I was dilated to 1.5 cm… meaning I was in labor at only 28 weeks ( 7 months)

The doctors immediatley admitted me to the hospital and began proper meds to help slow things down. I started crying and hoped that the doctors were able to stop my labor for a couple of more weeks so my babies will be able to grow a lil more before coming to the world..

After about9 hrs of magnesium they transfered me to the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) hospital by ambulance.. I was praying I will not deliver in the ambulance as my contractions kept getting worse… once I got there doctors tried everything to stop labor, my contractions slowed down a little but they were stronger…they gave me different medications, such as, magnesium sulfate (a tocolytic that will slow contractions of the uterus) intravenously but it didn’t work….24 hrs later my new Doctor that I loved rushed me for an emergency c section… I knew 50% of twins are born prematurely but not so prematurely!!!

This has been the hardest thing I ever faced in my entire life… while in surgery I was in a cloud the only thing I remember is trying to look over the green sheet to see if my babies were ok. On April 6 at 12.28pm baby Gianni was born weighting 3.1 oz and measure 14.3 inches. Nicco was second only weighing 2.11 oz and measure 15.1 inches. They were so little….and they were both crying.. that sound was the most beautiful sound I have ever heard.  Doctors updated me soon and they were both healthy.

Gianni is off the ventilator already and gaining weight. Nicco was baby B and second babies struggle a little more so he is still with the ventilator but getting stronger everyday. There are may risks involved with babies born this early. All we can do is pray that they continue to grow and get stronger. I only heard Nicco cry after he was born, now he has tubes all over so I wont hear his cry anymore until doctors remove his ventilator. I cant wait for that day to come.

They will stay in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) for 5 to 10 weeks just like if they were inside my tummy. So far all the test came ok and everyday I pray that these test continue to come back ok.

Due to my c section I was in the hospital room for 4 days barely able to walk, today the Doctor removed my stitches and sent me home but I decided to stay for 3 more days… NICU hospitals have rooms for moms that feel  not ready to go home.  I am not prepared mentally to leave the hospital without my babies but I have to remain myself that my babies are in the best possible care they can have right now.

I am not able to hold them yet but I make sure I visit them every 2 hours and talk to them.. They recognize my voice I can see it in there lil faces when I talk to them. I can’t breastfeed them yet so I make sure I pump and store the milk for when there able to digest better. It’s very important for premies to take breast milk as it helps advance growing process, it is the best gift I can give to them right now and unfortunatley the only thing I can do. Bonding process is hard when you can’t hold your baby but without a doubt I am bonding more and more everyday and today I changed Nicco’s diaper for first time!

After my experience I want to help other twin moms to the importance of listening to your body and alway seek advice of a qualified professional that you trust. I had the worst experience with my doctor that always made me think everything was ok even when I knew it wasn’t. Don’t be afraid of changing Doctors until you find the right one for you.

One day we will all look back and remember this days and smile but as for now all prayers will be appreciated. It’s very overwhelming to see my new babies with unknown wires, tubes , glasses to protect there little eyes and monitors all over…intense feelings of responsibility or that I could have done something to change it are extremely hard to deal with.

This is gonna be my most special section of my blog where I will speak from my heart through this difficult process,  everyday I will speak about my babies recovery, challenges , ups and downs and getting back in shape after twins.

I want to be a fit mom for my babies, they need a strong healthy mom right now and I will do anything I can that is gonna benefit them. I put on 40 lbs in my pregnancy, twin bellies are much bigger than singletons so by 6 months I already measured full term. I will show my progression with pictures every week until I go back on stage. Every competition I will do from now on will have meaning, I will do it for them and I will bring them to my shows so they can see mommy!!:) and I will bring them home trophies.. HAHA

All my family is in Spain thanks to the new technology like Skype they have seen my babies.  I am so grateful to my husband, my family and friends for the support, seeing my lil angels like this is very hard and without all of you it would be harder. As you know I have dealt with many adversities growing up but having premature twins is, perhaps, the biggest challenge I’d ever faced.

I will try to transform this emotional roller coaster into one of great personal growth with the help of all of you.

There is no words I can find to say to all of these people in the NICU that are caring for my babies. It is amazing :) You should be thanked every single day for what you do for a living. THANK YOU!!!

GOD BLESS YOU ALL!

My four legged kid Bruno can’t wait to meet his 2 brothers:)

A video about premature birth

About these ads

About Ingrid Romero

ARNOLD CLASSIC CHAMPION, 3 X NPC OVERALL CHAMPION, FITNESS COVER MODEL & COLUMNIST, TEAM EDGE CO-FOUNDER, BLOGGER, COMPETITION BIKINI DESIGNER, WIFE & MOTHER OF MIRACLE TWINS:) FROM SPAIN NOW LIVING IN L.A!
This entry was posted in NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit), Pregnancy, Preterm Labor, Twin Pregnancy and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

60 Responses to MY PREEMIE TWINS GIANNI & NICCO (born at 28 weeks)

1. Natalie Minh says:

Thank you for sharing your story about your two precious ones… I had tears in my eyes! I pray for you to have unlimited strength during this time, you and your boys are in my thoughts. It’s great news to hear that they are coming off of ventilator; first of the many positive blessings to come.

• Thank you so much Natalie. This has been the toughest thing I have ever dealt with. I can’t wait to meet your baby girl. Thanks again for all the warm wishes ans support

2. Jenn says:

Many thoughts and prayers are going out to you and your sweet babies! Thank you for sharing your story and thank you for doing the best you can for your boys by pumping/providing breastmilk. I know that probably seems a silly thing to thank you for but truly it isn’t!

• thank you very much!!! i love pumping for them:) is my therapy and helps me a lot mentally … my babies are doing so well 24 days in the NICU and there getting so strong!

3. Kevin Parker says:

i will send my support out over the web for you . just keep hope for your new kids.

4. I used to work in the NICU and loved it. The best advice I can give you is to keep doing what you are doing because it isRIGHT and the best thing those boys and you need. Everyday ask when you can have skin to skin contact with your boys. Once you get to do that you will see them grow and get stronger very fast! It is the best bonding experience you will get! Also dad needs to do this too. Anytime you are there try to do as much as possible for them and not the nurses. The babies will recognize your touch, voice and scent and then will cry for it as they realize others are not mommy and daddy. You can even get a teddy bear that has a beating heart beat in it or one that will let you record your voice. Have the nurses play it when you are not there as this helps to keep the babies calm and gives them the idea that you are there close by. Make sure you get your rest too and keep yourself healthy because before you know it you will have 2 little boys to be chasing after to love, laugh and play with. I wish you and your husband the best and will be praying for the boys to continue growing stronger and healthy so that they can go home with you soon. May God continue to bless you and your family! Hugs!

5. andrea king says:

thinking of you and praying for you and the boys recovery !!!! love you <3 andrea

6. Jane Marie says:

My prayers and well wishes for safe recovery to you and yours. Your sons have a strong mother!

7. Michelle says:

Wow Ingrid thank you so much for sharing that. I have been following your blog and webpage for a while admiring your strength and fitness goals and I love your courage to share your life especially something so personal as this. I wish the best for you and your new family, I’m sure you will be back on the stage in no time and killing it! :)

Michelle

8. Heather Prescott-Lopez says:

Ingrid, that takes a lot of inner-strength and passion to write about your experience – you are one of the most strongest women I have ever met. Your heart is bigger than Alaska and it shows in your articles, pictures and blogs. I pray that your babies grow healthier and stronger everyday so you can be even more close with them than you are now. I’m sorry you had a bad experience with the physician, but at least you’re smart enough to go on your own instinct!! I wish you and your new family all the best, hugs and kisses too. Hope one day we get to see each other again :-)

9. Rick says:

Beautiful babies, best of luck, and prayers. Great job Ingird

10. Brittney Ikner says:

I will be praying for all four of you. Thanks for sharing this amazing story. I’m so happy all of you are ok and your two angels are getting stronger everyday. I know you will be the best mommy ever. I will be praying for the four of you.

11. Alyse Montgomery says:

Thank you for sharing Ingrid! I am a twin and my brother and I were born around 28 weeks weighing in around 2.8 and 3 pounds. But now at age 19, we are both healthy,and smart! Many blessings and prayers your way! Enjoy your beautiful twins, they will bring you much joy! :)

• thank you Alyse! I am so happy to hear you story and I am glad you are both strong and doing so well! my babies are doing better everyday!
      cant wait to bring them home

12. Christina says:

Ingrid, the women in the NICU are amazing women. I can relate to your story – my second son was born early at 4.2lbs and was in NICU for three weeks. The emotional rollercoaster is tough but clearly you are one strong lady. Keep smiling and singing to those beautiful boys and they’ll be home in no time. xo

• thank you Chrisitina! yes there amazing! the entire NICU is amazing!
      it is very tough but is getting better and my boys are growing so fast!
      glad your son is doing well:)

13. They are so brave as mummy!!! Everything is gonna be all rigth . Luv u!

14. Maribel says:

Congrats to the beautiful mommy and whole family! I prayed and I know your boys will grow healthy and strong and handsome :) God bless

15. sinnysized says:

Congratulations on the birth of your newest miracles! I, too, am a (former) competitor who has twins. Although, I didn’t compete while pregnant! You’re pretty amazing to be able to do that! :) I’m still in the fitness industry. My girls were born prematurely, so I empathize with your situations. I find that it’s very helpful to share your story with others–cathartic for mommy and hope-filling for others! :)

16. Becca Staggs says:

Praying for you and the health of your little fighters, Ingrid! They have already made it so far, many babies born that early aren’t so lucky. It’s going to be a long road ahead for them. Thank you for sharing!

17. keiranzma says:

Ingrid, I don’t know you, but your story made me weep, both with joy and memories. Your boys are absolutely beautiful and I am so happy to hear they are doing well. Having a preemie (or 2!) is undoubtedly one of the most difficult roads to travel as a parent, anf you seem to be doing it with extraordinary grace. My 28- week, 1lb.,12.5 ouncer spent 6 months in 3 NICUs before coming home. He is now 8 years old, tall as I-don’t-know-what, strong as an ox, and BRILLIANT. :-) Preemies are FIGHTERS! I pray for a speedy and healthy journey for your boys, and all of the strength, patience and faith you can handle as you begin this wondrous and times crazy, journey.
    Wishing, love, light, joy and peace.
    -Keiranzma

• thank you so much! wow your baby boy was little what a fighter!!! congrats!
      24 days in the NICU already it feels like years and I cannot wait to take them home! it is very rough but I am very lucky and blessed that my lil angels have overcomed every obstacle that they faced, there putting on weight fast and having no issues. all the tubes are out!!! yayyyyyyy I get to hold them everyday for an hour each:) is the best part of my day
      its gonna be a fun summer with my miracles running around the house!

18. Kathy Crawford says:

Thank you for sharing Ingrid! I was forwarded this blog by Candice Perfect (she got one of my puppies). I want you to know the babies will survive and will do well. I had twins at 28 weeks too..they are now 18 years old and doing very well. My twin son (3 lbs/9 oz at birth) is on the President’s Honor Roll at Washington State University studying electrical engineering …he is a freshman and totally conquered Calculus II (over juniors and seniors)…and he is a Superior rated trumpet player…not bad for a kid who was on a vent struggling to survive the first week or two of life! I cry everytime I see him play! My daughter (twin B) was 2 lbs. 13 oz at birth…guess what? She just won the National Collegiate Wrestling Association National Championships for 148 women’s wrestling..she is the best in the country! …so…keep your chin up for your babies and stay confident and make SURE you breastfeed those babies when the time comes. There will be some back steps, guaranteed…but just know that they will continue to move forward and this too shall pass.
    Kathy Crawford

• aw love candice! and thank you so much!
      its gonna be a fun summer with my miracles running around the house!
      Congrats on your twins!!! what amazing athletes!!!

19. Pingback: Ingrid Romero – The importance of listening to your body

20. Raina says:

My daughter was born early, too, and weighed 3 lbs. 9 oz at birth. I feel your pain, including the c-section, and I’m here to let you know that 18 months from now you’ll have two healthy toddlers. Hang in there!!!

• thank you so so much!!!! I am glad your daughter is doing very well and thank you for sharing! my babies are doing so well now growing stronger and heathier every day! cant wait to take them home!

21. Yasmin says:

My heart and prayers go out to you. My second pregnancy at 35 years old were twins. The minute I found out I was automatically considered “high risk”! I saw my regular OB GYN and also a Perinatologist. I was monitored constantly and even though I had no complications and was extremely healthy I still delivered at 34 weeks and 5 days. My boys were 5lbs and 4lbs 13 oz and still really small. One had to stay in NICU and I was unable to hold him. That Mother’s day, a few days later I was able to hold him. It was truly special! I’m blessed to have 2 beautiful 4 year old boys who are energetic and healthy! I pumped and nursed them for 6 weeks. I would wrap my one twin who was home in a blanket or sleep with a blanket and then bring it to the NICU to be put in the incubator with my other son. The nurses would say he slept better once the blanket was next to him. I’m crying as I send this to you! You are right in sharing! May GOD watch over your angels while you are not with them and continue to bless you with the courage and strength you will need now and when they come home.

• thank you so much!
      its gonna be a fun summer with my miracles running around the house!

22. lina simeone says:

Ingrid tu historia me hizo llorar, yo tengo un bebe de 4 meses y senti contracciones desde los 7 en parte se como te sientes gracias a Dios mi bebe nacio en tiempo, seguro tus bebes van a estar super bien, con tu amor y cuidado todo va a estar bien, te felicito por tu fortaleza y por compartir tu historia. te envio mil bendiciones para tus bebes..

• Hola Lina!!!
      gracias por compartir tu historia!
      gracias a Dios mis bebes estan creciendo fuertes y sanos… hemos asado varis sustos pero han superado todo!
      un abrzo muy fuerte!

23. Kevin Parker says:

I am a 45yr old man am still single . one day i will met my soul mate and hope to have the kids. i like a big family my self . i do thank you for sharing with me . good luck with your family.
    Kevin Parker,

24. Venetta Smith says:

I’m a preemie twin who was just about as small as your little ones. Saying prayers for you and your family.

25. Thank you for sharing your story. i, myself, am an IFBB Pro Figure athlete (retired), and I have identical twin girls born on April 12, 2010. I too had my share of scares. Many ups and downs. If you need anyone to talk to, feel free to contact me at any time. I have TONS of tips. Your little ones are fighters just like their mom.

Take Care,
    Chrissy Garcia-Nagaye

• Thank you so much for sharing! its been 3 weeks and my babies are getting so strong and so big! I am very happy and lucky that there overcoming every issue they face there so STRONG! my miracles:)

26. Natalie Jill says:

Thank you for sharing your story Ingrid!!! Your little ones are very lucky to have such a stong mommy like you!

27. Ingrid, your strength and husbands strength will be stronger through the prayers all of your family, friends and fans will shower on your beautiful baby boys! Cant wait to meet them in the future!
    CHeers, MT

28. Jessie says:

Was your low body fat a factor in your twins being born premature? Was there any indication from your doctors that your fitness regime was somehow a negative factor? Or conversely was that something that helped? Also, will having a c-section in anyway compromise your abdominal muscles for competition in the future? Of course the health of your children is your paramount concern right now, but was curious if it’s an issue.

• Hi Jessie!
      my body fat was not low in my pregnancy only at the beginning while pregnant it went up as I put 40 lbs!
      I stoped working out at 4 months as twins is consider a high risk pregnancy so I wanted to be safe
      I was on bed rest for the last entire month of my pregnancy and it didnt help:( babies wanted out! :)
      regarding c section I do not think it will affect my muscles..its only been 24 days and my stomach is flat! I train several moms that had c section and there muscles look great it just takes a lil longer…
      and babies are doing great!! they will be home soon!
      thanks

29. Pingback: La IFBB Bikini Pro, Ingrid Romero, madre de gemelos: felicidades! |XISCOSERRA.COM

30. Pingback: Inspirational Mom, Ingrid Romero | Kim Dolan Leto

31. I love to hear your story. I had twin boys at 28 weeks also. My oldest was born weighing 2 lbs 1 oz and my youngest was 2 lbs 8 oz. Draven, the older one, was born with two heart problems and had heart surgery at 2 months old. Dominic, the younger one obviously, only had problems breathing. Dominic got to leave the NICU after 2 months. Draven had to stay for 5 months. Being a mom to multiple preemies is a hard thing to do, but it is well worth the pain. They are two and a half now and healthy as can be. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

• Thank you so much!
      I would love to see a picture of your babies!
      It was very very hard but so happy we are finally home and healthy
      My babies weight 12 lbs already…so happy!

32. Anna says:

Thank u so much for sharing your story. My sister is going trough a similar situation and its very hard.

33. brockjohn13 says:

thank you for sharing Ingrid. My wife is expecting twins and we have had our share of complications throughout. Reading your story gives us hope!

Tell me what you think!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s